Sprint/Verizon BGP

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Aug 5 15:48:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Edward Brookhouse wrote:

> Any Sprint BGP admins on this list can offer any thoughts on why Sprint
> connected networks are preferring my Sprint connection when they should be
> preferring my Verizon?
>
> I (Healthy Directions) am AS16387, two blocks 63.73.158.0/24 and
> 63.78.31.0/24, being announced by sprint and Verizon, preferred to
> Verizon(DS3) over Sprint 3MB.

I see you're prepending the heck out of your announcement to Sprint...but
Sprint is apparently still prefering to use their internal/customer route
to you rather than send your traffic across the internet.

If you really want Sprint to not use your 3MB circuit unless the Verizon
one is down, have a look at https://www.sprint.net/index.php?p=policy_bgp
You probably want to lower their localpref for your routes.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |