Dan Kaminsky

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Aug 4 18:40:34 UTC 2009

> There is NO fix. There never will be as the problem is architectural
> to the most fundamental operation of DNS. Other than replacing DNS
> (not
> feasible), the only way to prevent this form of attack is DNSSEC. The
> "fix" only makes it much harder to exploit.

Randomizing source ports and QIDs simply increases entropy, making it
harder to spoof an answer.  If this is not a "fix", then DNSSEC is not
a fix either, as it only increases entropy as well.

Admitted, DNSSEC increases it a great deal more, but by your
definition, it is not a "fix".

--
TTFN,
patrick