What is the most standard subnet length on internet

Zartash Uzmi zartash at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 00:04:30 UTC 2009

Since this old thread recently became alive (momentarily), and I read
through the posts, (perhaps, again!) ...

Patrick, I would like to understand why you said that routers handling 10G
traffic in DFZ are not bothered (much) by a few extra prefixes? Isn't this
counter-intuitive? For example, for the worst case packet size of 40 bytes,
a router has only 32ns to completely
process a packet (including lookup!) in order to support 10Gb/s line rates.
The higher rates leave with even smaller time, which makes me think that
it's the "slow running" routers that should not be bothered *much* by a
small increase in the number of prefixes. Or, were you referring to 10G
routers "slow running" by comparing them with 100G routers? I do not except
anyone to have such a long memory, so you may want to skim through the
following :)

Zartash