NAT64/NAT-PT update in IETF, was: Re: Important New Requirement for IPv4 Requests [re "impacting revenue"]

Jack Bates jbates at
Wed Apr 22 15:12:29 CDT 2009

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> In v6ops CPE requirements are being discussed so in the future, it
> should be possible to buy a $50 home router and hook it up to your
> broadband service or get a cable/DSL modem from your provider and the
> IPv6 will be routed without requiring backflips from the user.
> So there is a fair chance that we'll be in good shape for IPv6
> deployment before we've used up the remaining 893 million IPv4 addresses.

I think this annoys people more than anything. We're how many years into
the development and deployment cycle of IPv6? What development cycle is
expected out of these CPE devices after a spec is FINALLY published?

If the IETF is talking "future" and developers are also talking
"future", us little guys that design, build, and maintain the networks
can't really do much. I so hope that vendors get sick of it and just
make up their own proprietary methods of doing things. Let the IETF
catch up later on.