Fiber cut in SF area

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Apr 14 20:35:30 UTC 2009

I don't mean to jump in here and state the obvious, but wireless links are
not a panacea. At least a few folks have presented that fiber grooming has
affected their *region*. It's not difficult to imagine that wherever the
"head" link side (or agg point) of these regional wireless networks is...
probably coincides with a fiber network or other telecom POP. You are just
moving where your last mile vulnerabilities are (slightly.. as you are
picking up multiple power vulnerabilities, Line of Sight, and other things
along the way).

In the example of a tornado or other weather disturbance, wireless links
are subject to fade just as much as any kind of aerial wired asset.

Deepak Jain
AiNET