Fiber cut in SF area

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Apr 14 02:38:51 UTC 2009

telmnstr at 757.org wrote:

>> Presumes the perp isn't familiar with the hole, and it's security
>> measures. In this case, I doubt that either is the case. Pop in, snip
>> the wires on the horn, and do what you do.
>
> Better they cut the fiber instead of Oklahoma Citying the central office.

If you're referring to the Event, that scares me every day about the
largest meet points in the nation and how much traffic can really fully
switch to other paths should one or two disappear completely. On the
data side of things, though, while it still takes time, I'm forever
impressed at how fast everything comes together to get communications
rolling again.

Man-made or natural, disasters bring out the best and the worst. Of
course, I mostly see natural disasters; wasn't far from the tornado that
  decorated the Tandy building in Ft. Worth, was 5 miles from the
Tornado in Moore, OK, and was bunkered down in my house in Lone Grove
this year.

I've seen 2 man-made disasters and 2 natural disasters so far this year.
One was severe at a network level (Building power outage because the NOC
chose not to check it out and discover the faulty power transfer switch;
batteries died 8 hours later), and 3 were local and only effected a
subset of end users due to cable damage (Tornado in Lone Grove back in
Feb, wildfires last week in Lone Grove, and one of our nearby towns had
an oversized truck grab the overhead cable and drag it down the road,
ripping poles out of the ground, and of course he didn't stick around to
pay the bill).

If you're referring to our infrastructure, no comment but lots of laughter.

I really haven't considered the SF fiber cut to be a big deal. It may
effect more people, but it's still a couple minor cuts.

 From the back woods,

Jack