Fiber cut in SF area

Ben Scott mailvortex at
Thu Apr 9 17:52:32 CDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at> wrote:
>> That our crack (or on crack) govt contracting/emergency-preparedness staff
>> didn't demand protected facilities for 911 is another mind boggling issue.
>  This costs $$$ and usually isn't a problem as there are other ways to
> communicate.   The law-enforcement folks qualify for GETS ...

  Which is fine if you're a law-enforcement folk.  Kinda sucks if
you're an ordinary private citizen who tries to dial 911 and gets a
reorder tone.  Which I presume is what is happening, since everybody
is saying 911 is down.  What's the point of having all the emergency
service personnel communicating with each other if they can't get 911
calls in the first place?  (Rhetorical question, I know there are
other ways they can find out about emergencies, but  911 is the big

  Maybe nostalgia just ain't what it used to be, but I thought the
PSTN used to be more reliable than this.

  What if this isn't simple vandalism?

-- Ben