Do we still need Gi Firewall for 3G/UMTS/HSPA network ?

Skywing Skywing at
Thu Apr 9 15:18:13 CDT 2009

Verizon filters unsolicited inbound traffic for their EVDO customers in my experience.

- S

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 09:32
To: NANOG list <nanog at>
Subject: Re: Do we still need Gi Firewall for 3G/UMTS/HSPA network ?

On Apr 9, 2009, at 11:48 PM, Lee, Steven (NSG Malaysia) wrote:

> Please share your thought and thanks in advance :)

No, IMHO.  Most broadband operators don't insert firewalls inline in
front of their subscribers, and wireless broadband is no different.

The infrastructure itself must be protected via iACLs, the various
vendor-specific control-plane protection mechanisms, and so forth, but
inserting additional state in the middle of everything doesn't buy
anything, and introduces additional constraints and concerns.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at> // +852.9133.2844 mobile

   Our dreams are still big; it's just the future that got small.

                   -- Jason Scott