Verizon EVDO Issues

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at
Wed Apr 8 05:27:41 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 22:10:24 Charles Wyble wrote:
> Been troubleshooting a very strange problem for a couple of weeks now.
> I have a few hundred systems deployed throughout the United States
> utilizing EVDO connectivity with Verizon as a carrier. They are stationary.
> Over the past few weeks clusters of them in SF and Lewisville TX and a
> few other areas have been failing intermittently. They are offline for
> several days, then online for a few days then go offline again. They are
> running Linux and PPPD.

Do they maintain a continuous data link in normal operation (like, say,
connectivity for a LAN, or backhaul for a camera or some such), or do they
request the data link when they need to send [whatever] (like a discrete SCADA
system)? My (user only) experience is that cellular data service doesn't
handle long sessions well.