Paul Vixie vixie at
Sun Apr 5 02:00:53 CDT 2009

Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster at> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Marcelo Gardini do Amaral
> <mgardini at> wrote:
>> Guys,
>> are you having problems to validate DNSEC using ISC DLV?
> No idea, but I did see another reference to this over on the OARC dns-ops
> list:

note, this isn't a ddos, so it's probably not related to the other dns ddos
events that have been discussed here recently.

see also geoff's reply on that thread:

Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 23:15:55 -0700
From: "Geoffrey Sisson" <geoff at>
To: dns-operations at
Subject: Re: [dns-operations] ISC DLV broken?
Sender: dns-operations-bounces at

mvn at (Michael Van Norman) wrote:

> Starting a bit after 18:00, my home machines starting failing DNSSEC
> validation using the ISC DLV.
> Are other people seeing this?

Yes, starting at around the same time (PDT).

Peter_Losher at (Peter Losher) wrote:

> ISC is aware that there is a issue with lookups against and
> are investigating the cause behind it.  You may want to disable DNSSEC
> validation against at this time.

It appears as if the RRSIG RRset returned by the DLV nameservers for
"" is missing the RRSIG for the KSK, so validation for is failing.  It _does_ contain the RRSIG for the ZSK (key
id 64263).

As a test I tried changing the trusted key to the ZSK, and DLV validation
appeared to work correctly.  This is, of course, not a recommended

dns-operations mailing list
dns-operations at