Can anyone shed some light as to what is happening with

Steve Pirk orion at
Thu Apr 2 01:40:16 CDT 2009

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Steve Pirk wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 17:10:24 -0500
>> Erich Kolb <ekolb at> wrote:
>>> Looks like they are having some serious issues.  It doesn't appear
>>> that any of their domains are resolving.  Hosted or otherwise.
>> Hmm -- UltraDNS was attacked; I wonder if there's a connection.
>> 		--Steve Bellovin,
> A few weeks ago, there was tons of dns pounding all over the net.
> Today, we see registrars going dark because of dns issues.
> Today, people think Conficker will "do" something.
> I am puzzled. Maybe it is just 04/01 paranoia?

Thought of one more thing...

Wasn't Conficker also configured to try and register a ton of randomly
generated domains? Two registrars go dark today?

Ok, put the imagination on hold...
Equal bytes for women.