Cisco interface - GB of transfer software

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Tue Sep 30 15:58:27 UTC 2008

Daniel Senie wrote:
> MRTG provides graphs of usage, but I'm not aware of it providing a
> monthly total usage (or 95% or other) in report form (though would be
> happy to learn otherwise).
>
> Does ntop provide a way to generate a monthly report?
>
> I believe the others posting are interested in this from a billing
> perspective. I share their interest.

Cacti and MRTG both have support for rrdtool backends. How the rrd is processed
is up to you. A simple script to poll data and do some basic math and email the
results, or generate a graph. Cacti has several plugins for sending reports.
MRTG users tend to just script additionals. It's not as gui oriented as cacti, IMO.

Each has pros and cons. If you have a sound internal php/mysql setup, cacti is a
breeze and the plugin php scripts are cute for the non-techies.

-Jack