Advice in dealing with BGP prefix hijacking

Scott Weeks surfer at
Mon Sep 29 15:23:14 CDT 2008

--- mikebenden at wrote:
From: "L. Gabriel Somlo" <mikebenden at>

I'm looking for advice on how to deal with a US ISP (names withheld to
protect the guilty) which seems to repeatedly fat-finger our IP space
into their BGP announcements, and then gives us the run-around when we
call them on the phone, since we're not their clients...

Talk to their upstream(s) and ask them to filter the ISP properly.  Show the upstreams evidence of the ISPs wrongful announcements from router commands, bgplay or other tools.