ARIN Routing Registry vs RADB vs X

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Sep 26 04:02:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:57:20PM -0500, Craig Holland wrote:
> They gave no particular reason.  I figured I'd ask ya'all before I
> started to push back and use phrases like 'silly', 'ridiculous', and
> 'pointless' in my argument to them.

Allow me:

It is silly to attempt to use only a single registry-of-origin
from the IRR mesh.  If reading specifications is too difficult,
a cursory reading of just the irr.net website shows how ridiculous
such an implementation would be.  Given the system is designed
to be distributed, only eating a single origin is pointless.

All that said, it is not uncommon for a provider who operates
a proper routing registry to force all but the demonstrably
clueful customers into theirs.

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE