ARIN Routing Registry vs RADB vs X

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Sep 25 22:54:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:38:26PM -0500, Craig Holland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently ran across a situation where a large ISP only accepts IRR
> entries generated by RADB to build their path filters.  I use the ARIN
> Routing Registry.  Is this a common practice?  Should I convert over to
> RADB?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

	use of a single RR has almost never been a good idea...
	not since RIPE first split out of the RABD, 13 years ago.

	that said, several of the RIR's are planning/testing a
	new suite of tools to do crypto-authentication of route objects
	(the IETF SIDR work).  APNIC might be in beta as early as
	this year and I think ARIN will be doing some trial work
	in 2h09. ostensibly, this will be a much stronger toolset
	on which to base route accuracy/acceptance.  You might
	want to ask about it at the upcoming ARIN mtg in LA... Its
	right after the NANOG mtg.

--bill