rackmount managed PDUs

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Sep 25 16:37:40 UTC 2008

As much as I hate to tear people away from the Intercage/Atrivo debacle
and semi-tangential rants, I'll take one for the team and do it :)

I have an opportunity coming up to rebuild an existing machine room space
to an extent.  It's not a total gut-and-refit, but I'll at least get to
put in some new infrastructure.  That said, I'd be interested in hearing
about peoples' experiences with various rackmountable managed PDUs.

I have some Tripp Lite PDUMH30NETs that work well and are reasonably
priced, but they have a few quirks (no RS-232 console port, web interface
seems to be a little shaky with Firefox, etc) that would become more
annoying when scaled up to several rows of new rack footprints.  I'm also
open to using managed vertically mounted PDUs.  The plan is for each
footprint to have "A" and B" feeds, so two PDUMH30NETs would take up 4U
per footprint, which is a bit much...

I don't need to worry about distributing DC power - just AC.

This site will be lights-out most of the time, so robust remote management
capabilities are a must.

Any thoughts/insight are greatly appreciated.

jms