a vernier of civilization...

Tomas L. Byrnes tomb at byrneit.net
Thu Sep 25 15:12:05 UTC 2008

Am I the only one who read that as intending to be "Veneer", a thin
covering to make it look like, even if the subsurface reality is the raw
randomness of particle board?

I would note that; while it seems like the OP wanted to say that we were
to make the process of running outlaws out of town (which is the
equivalent of what we're doing here) at least a bit civilized; in the
context outside of decoration, a veneer means "superficial or
deceptively attractive appearance", IE: for looks only, not changing the
inherent character of the thing it's meant to cover up.

I guess, it we want better PR, a veneer of judges, bailiffs, and lawyers
can't hurt us. We should still let our well clad lawmen unload with all
barrels on the louts that have been terrorizing the neighborhood.