Yahoo Email

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Sep 24 04:59:48 UTC 2008

In article <200809240320.m8O3KIw0019735 at aurora.sol.net> you write:
>> Hello All,=0A=A0=0AIt seems you all missed the memo.=0AAs of about 11PM PST=
>>  Last night 09/22/08, Esthost has been ENTIRELY Shutdown. They no longer ha=
>> ve ANY Machine on my network.=0A=A0=0AI'm currently starting to monitor som=
>> e of the public media, such as google, DroneBL, as well as several Anti-Mal=
>> ware community websites for abuse.=0A=A0=0ABeing that Esthost is now entire=

	[snipped]
>Speaking of missing memos...  mailing lists are not highly compatible
>with HTML or some clients that like to encode list mail.  The above is
>what your mail looked like to some people.

	Most email from Yahoo is like this.  Yahoo doesn't know how
	to do quoted-printable properly.  It displays ok if you
	speak mime but not if you don't.  The intent of quoted-printable
	is to display ASCII nicely if you don't have a mime compliant
	reader.

	Mark

	RFC 2045.

   The Quoted-Printable encoding is intended to represent data that
   largely consists of octets that correspond to printable characters in
   the US-ASCII character set.  It encodes the data in such a way that
   the resulting octets are unlikely to be modified by mail transport.
   If the data being encoded are mostly US-ASCII text, the encoded form
   of the data remains largely recognizable by humans.  A body which is
   entirely US-ASCII may also be encoded in Quoted-Printable to ensure
   the integrity of the data should the message pass through a
   character-translating, and/or line-wrapping gateway.

	also

    (4)   (Line Breaks) A line break in a text body, represented
          as a CRLF sequence in the text canonical form, must be
          represented by a (RFC 822) line break, which is also a
          CRLF sequence, in the Quoted-Printable encoding.  Since
          the canonical representation of media types other than
          text do not generally include the representation of
          line breaks as CRLF sequences, no hard line breaks
          (i.e. line breaks that are intended to be meaningful
          and to be displayed to the user) can occur in the
          quoted-printable encoding of such types.  Sequences
          like "=0D", "=0A", "=0A=0D" and "=0D=0A" will routinely
          appear in non-text data represented in quoted-
          printable, of course.