comparison of hijack alert systems [was]: prefix hijack by ASN 8997

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Sep 23 13:08:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Scott Weeks wrote:

> I am hoping to confirm a short-duration prefix hijack
<snip>

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank at efes.iucc.ac.il>

I too spotted this via PHAS for a large number of prefixes, but have not
received alerts from IAR, Watchmy.Net nor does RIPE RIS show this hijack:
http://www.ris.ripe.net/perl-risapp/risearch.html I would have expected
with so many RRC boxes that RIPE RIS would have caught it.  I had thought
it was a false positive from PHAS but now that you and others have seen it
- I guess it is for real.

It'd be very interesting to compare said systems using this event.  I have not subscribed to MyASN or watchmy.net yet, so I can't do that.  I do note, however, that PHAS took 4 hours and 20 minutes to email me, which is within the specs noted on their site.

scott