Atrivo/Intercage: Now Only 1 Upstream

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Sep 18 14:42:13 UTC 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:07 PM, David Ulevitch wrote:
> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> On Sep 17, 2008, at 1:32 PM, David Ulevitch wrote:
>
>>> At the end of the day, nobody is going to drop packets for
>>> amazon's IP space.
>> I'm afraid reality disagrees with you - there already are networks
>> doing it.
>> Being big does not guarantee you ability to do Bad Things.
>
> I didn't imply that it did.

Actually, that is exactly what you did.

> But the ability to block without causing significant collateral
> damage becomes more and more difficult as IPs become less tied to
> the organization using them.

True (and rather obvious).  Here's another obviously true statement:
As more & more spam comes from a set of IP addresses, it becomes less
& less likely you should accept e-mail from that space.

> That said, you're right that people are doing it now.  Consensus
> from friends running their apps on EC2 is that you can't expect to
> be able to send any email from EC2 and hope for a high
> deliverability rate.

Not news to anyone who works on anti-spam or e-mail deliverability.
Perhaps the collateral damage will force Amazon to get things fixed
faster.

Or maybe not, but either way I don't see how you can blame someone for
not wanting to accept e-mail from EC2.

--
TTFN,
patrick