ingress SMTP

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Sat Sep 13 22:39:04 UTC 2008

Frank Bulk wrote:
> How do you alert mail server operators who are smarthosting their e-mail
> through you that their outbound messages contain spam?

Typically a ticket gets injected into helpdesk who then contact them via
email or via a phone call depending on the situation.  I don't think
we've automated it as often these kinds of people don't react well or
ignore it - so a human being needs to intervene and often give help.

We also take measures such as rate limiting the amount of email they can
send (kbps, msg per hour wise) to limit the damage.

We offer a URL for customers that allows them to see their "spam" rating
for their IPs (this includes if they're sending out viruses as well) -
including a text only version (2 lines of text) so it can be easily
parsed by machine if someone wanted to integrate it into their own checking.

We try and have default settings that protect us and the users as much
as possible, but allow people who (at least think they) know what
they're doing to change them to be more open.   Our general customer
base tends to be biased towards the techy type who want this kind of
thing.  (We sponsor things like the Australian Systems Administrator's
Guild etc)

MMC