community real-time BGP hijack notification service

Erik Romijn eromijn at ripe.net
Fri Sep 12 15:26:28 UTC 2008

Avi Freedman wrote:
> Certainly if anyone wants to see the dynamics, who has advertised what now and
> in the deep dark past, etc Renesys would be the place to go as far as I know.

RIS provides data in a searchable MySQL database for three months.

All we've ever collected is kept in a raw data format. This archive
starts in 1999, and we maintain a library to read the data.
This data is free to use for any purpose and we will not remove any of
our raw data as it gets older.

We are also carefully looking into whether we should reduce or increase
the amount of data in our MySQL database - as that's easy to search for
our users.

However, any increase obviously comes with increased resource usage - so
this is something that requires careful thinking and planning.
Another option is to store aggregated info on older data, instead of
keeping every update that ever occured.

But, this is just an idea that crosses our minds from time to time - I'm
not making promises on what we will implement :)

Of course, any ideas on how much more history would help you, are very
welcome.

cheers,
--
Erik Romijn                 RIPE NCC software engineer
http://www.ripe.net/        Information Services dept.