InterCage, Inc. (NOT Atrivo)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Sep 11 22:58:44 UTC 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 6:52 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> In the internet world, mass depeering / de-transitting like we've
>>> see in this instance is akin to capital punishment.  By vigilantes.
>>> The US Old West redux.
>> Connecting to my network is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.  You lose a
>> criminal case, you lose rights (e.g. freedom to walk outside).
>> Disconnecting you from my network is not denying any of your rights.
>>
>> There is no law or even custom stopping me from asking you to prove
>> you are worthy to connect to my network.  You don't want to prove it,
>> that's your right, just as it is my right to not connect to you.
>>
>> Mind if I ask why you think you have any right to connect to my
>> network if I do not want you to do so?  For _any_ reason, including
>> not showing me "legit" customers, political affiliation, or even the
>> color of your hat?
>
> amidst all this high flyin' political theory discussion of rights,
> there
> is an elephant in the room.  as conditions to merger/purchase, there
> were legal restrictions placed on one or more significant operators
> regarding [de-]peering (i.e. your statement above is significantly
> incorrect).  my altzheimer's device tells me that those restrictions
> end
> 2008.12.31.  expect change.

The fact there is a temporary exception to the rule for two providers
in the US who agreed to the exception for reasons other than peering /
transit does not mean the rule is invalid.

As for (some of?) the exceptions expiring at the end of this calendar
year, I'm not at all certain it will be a sea change.  Contrary to
popular belief, the US is not the center of the Internet any more.
And even if it were, those providers - even the two combined - are not
the center of the US Internet.  Besides, wouldn't that just prove the
rule anyway? :)

The 'Net has become much more egalitarian.  I would think that you of
all people Randy would applaud the internationalization and flattening
of the Internet.

--
TTFN,
patrick