BCP38 dismissal

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 11 07:55:21 UTC 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 12:50 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> Having no hosts, I can't do much about that other than ...
>
> i suggest you go back to the mail to which you responded obscenely
> vilifying the poster who was specifically saying he worried about his
> host before bcp38.  that was specifically the subject.

"host" in that context was his router, which makes your comment make
less sense.  (having never seen a big iron router become a client in a
botnet, myself)  He was talking about big iron control plane policy
controls.   You must have missed the context.

>> Given that I know of no provider larger than us using BCP38 on every
>> port
>
> well, that sets an upper bound on the extent of your knowledge, eh.
> and
> not a very high one.

I just had a deep discussion with Verio about this very problem in
their network last week.  Verio claims no timetable for consistent
BCP38 deployment.

You want to stop being rude, and start making positive assertations
about things you know?  I'd love to be wrong, but I've got a whole lot
of experience on this topic.   If you know better, educate the rest of
us.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness