Cisco uRPF failures

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 11 07:50:29 UTC 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 1:55 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
> To this day I've never met network operator not using uRPF on Cisco
> gear.
> (note: network operator. It's probably not used widely by enterprises)

As someone who does a lot of work talking to NOCs trying to chase down
attack sources, I can honestly tell you that I haven't talked to a
single NOC in the last 16 months who had BCP38 on every port, or even
on most of their ports.  And the majority response is "our (vendor)
gear can't handle it".   As we both know, Cisco is the largest by far
vendor in the marketplace, and I've heard that name more than 70% of
the time.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness