BCP38 dismissal

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 11 07:32:28 UTC 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 3:22 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:
>> On that you'll have to speak for yourself.  We have it on every
>> customer port ;-)
>
> Now that is interesting. Can you share a bit about you
> rimplementation hardships, costs, customer complaints, etc?

One customer complaint.  Found the customer was looping traffic
between two uplinks and helped them fix the problem ;-)

Implementation cost: time/labor to implement automatic management of
ACLs on the customer ports.

Not all that much cost, since we had already developed infrastructure
to do the same thing for customer configurations.  Maybe 12 hours of
my time coding and testing.

Honestly, I expected a lot more problems than we've had.  Especially
given the fallout I'd seen on the networks trying to do it with
Cisco.  But the Force10 gear didn't even notice the effect, and it's
been ~2 years since I've even thought much about it.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness