why not AS number based prefixes aggregation

Paul Francis francis at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Sep 9 18:02:57 UTC 2008

Sorry, my question was not clear.  By "entries" I meant "routes" or
"prefixes".  For instance, some ISPs today deaggregate in order to
load-balance, so they advertise multiple prefixes or routes instead of one.
Of course, the "right" number would vary from ISP to ISP (as someone already
pointed out to me), but I'm not even sure what the criteria would be for how
many routes one needs to load balance...i.e. depends on the number of AS
neighbors?, depends on the number of depends on the number of BGP neighbors?,
depends on your load balancing mechanism (MEDs versus path prepending versus
....???)?

The point is this...BGP seems to give use two tools...a machete (AS numbers)
and a scalpel (prefixes).  If I want to cut a steak (load balance), the
machete is too coarse, the scalpel is too fine.  What's the right tool???

PF