[Fwd:] Nvidia NICs with duplicate mac addresses

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri Sep 5 14:32:46 UTC 2008

Forwarded to NANOG in the interests of wider awareness...  having been
there and torn out my already scarce hair, duplicate MAC addresses can
really mess up your day...

---

Just when you thought this couldn't happen any more...

Copying from a different email list...

mac address 04:4b:80:80:80:03, was showing up in multiple places
across the network. I googled the mac address and discovered that
other people are having the same issue with this mac address. Below
are some links describing the problem:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=22148
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-73469.html

I just wanted everyone to know about this problem in case you run
across similar slow "connectivity" issues. I believe the network card
is made by NVIDIA.