ingress SMTP

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri Sep 5 09:12:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008, Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> If the ISP blocks port 25, then the ISP is taking responsibility for
>> delivering all email sent by a user, and they have to start applying rate
>> limits.
>
> MUAs should stop sending email via 25 and use 587 or equivalent instead.
> There is little actual reason why someone should be able to send TCP/25 SMTP
> email from a residential connection when most software support authenticated
> TCP/587 submits.
>
> We don't allow most of our residential customer base to speak SMTP TCP/25 to
> anywhere at all (and we have millions of them). Wish more ISPs would do the
> same.

Probably fair enough, if you as an ISP can get away with enforcing this
sort of policy then so much the better.

However relaying through your own ISPs 25/tcp should surely then make it
relatively easy for noise to be tracked down and nailed at the source - by
ISPs?  (Do abuse@ desks investigate spam these days?)