ingress SMTP

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Sep 4 18:57:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 02:01:48PM +1200, Mark Foster wrote:
> So in terms of the OP,
> I don't see why joe-user on a dynamic-IP home connection should need the
> ability to use port 25 to talk to anywhere but their local ISP SMTP server
> on a normal basis[1].

Whats a normal basis?

My Home ISP won't let me send to more than 200 (or so) email addresses
per day.  If I used my ISP's email system I would constantly be losing
my email service due to hitting the limit.

I do the field scheduling for my local town soccer league.
[Never volunteer!  :-)   ]

So when I send a few announcements out to coaches, referees and
administrators, I hit that limit and get my email shutoff for two days
or so.  I eventually switched to MailHop at DynDNS (smtp auth)

I would have used port 25 but our ISP has begun blocking outbound
port 25 nationwide, due to large amount of outbound spam from their
customers. :-)