GLBX De-Peers Intercage [Was: RE: Washington Post: Atrivo/Intercag e, w hy are we peering with the American RBN?]

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 4 15:19:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 11:08:20AM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > What is your price for cocaine?
>
> No, seriously.. If, as some estimates have it, 80% of the traffic is P2P, and
> as other estimates have it, 90% of that is copyright-infringing, then if that
> traffic disappears, anybody who was selling transit for that traffic is
> going to take a *big* revenue hit.

Not for long.  The *problem* is edge customers having to continually
increase the size of their pipes to make room for the good stuff amongst
the crap.

If the crap goes away, there will then be room for the chicken and egg
problem with the steady march of IPTV etc to finally take off for real, I
should think...

> I think it's very disingenuous to pretend that there have been *no* providers
> that haven't said to themselves "We're selling to scum, but it pays the bills,
> and we'd be in bankruptcy court otherwise..."

Sure.

And those are the people we don't *care* if they take it in the wallet, no?

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)