ingress SMTP

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Sep 4 12:51:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Well, that depends on MUA design, of course, but it's just been pointed
> out to me that the RFC says MAY, not MUST.

Note that there are TWO relevant RFCs: RFC 4409 and RFC 5068. The latter
says:

3.1.  Best Practices for Submission Operation

   Submission Authentication:

      MSAs MUST perform authentication on the identity asserted during
      all mail transactions on the SUBMISSION port, even for a message
      having a RCPT TO address that would not cause the message to be
      relayed outside of the local administrative domain.

Tony.
FISHER GERMAN BIGHT: SOUTHWESTERLY 5 TO 7, OCCASIONALLY GALE 8 IN GERMAN
BIGHT, DECREASING 4 AT TIMES. ROUGH OR VERY ROUGH, BECOMING MODERATE LATER.
SQUALLY SHOWERS. MODERATE OR GOOD.