Why not go after bots? (was: ingress SMTP)

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 03:08:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 5:12 AM, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
> That seems to be the convention wisdom, but the science experiment
> as it were in blocking port 25 doesn't seem to be correlated (must
> less causated) with any drop in the spam rate. Because so far as I've
> heard there isn't any such drop. Spammers and the rest are pretty
> resourceful.

Let's put it this way .. a lot of ISPs have already realized that
which is why port 25 blocking or management is the basics. They do
that and have done that for years (and various providers elsewhere
still proudly claim "hey, we do outbound port 25 blocking, we're
great!!!").  The real action is in walled gardens to automatically
detect and isolate botted hosts till they're cleaned up

Go talk to arbor, sandvine, perftech etc etc

srs