Force10 Gear - Opinions

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Thu Sep 4 00:22:55 UTC 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 8:29 PM, James Jun wrote:
>>> As a box designed with the enterprise datacenter in mind, the E-
>> series
>>> looks to be missing several key service provider features, including
>>> MPLS and advanced control plane filtering/policing.
>>

>> Ah, because Cisco does either of these in hardware?
>
> Yes.  PFC3 inside Supervisor 32, 720 and RSP 720 for Catalyst 6500/
> Router
> 7600 series perform both of these features in hardware.  The article
> mentioned in this thread compares Force10 E against the 6500 series.

Sorry, I was on an installation with 6500s and 720s trying to do uRPF
and it kept falling back to software and killing the units.  What your
reading has no reality in my experience.

I've been told exactly the same about MPLS by someone I trust (and who
would only speak based on real experience, not reading online articles)
   "It works kindof, but when it fails you lose the entire network".

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness