198.32.64.12 -- Harmless mis-route or potential exploit?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 02:08:10 UTC 2008

On 9/2/08, Todd Underwood <todd-nanog at renesys.com> wrote:

>  checking our current data, that block is not currently routed by any
>  of our peers over the last month (i would assume ripe ris and
>  routeviews report similar data, but i did not check them.

it's also probably worth stating that parts of 198.32/16 are never
routed anywhere on the Internet (here comes bill to tell me 'who's
Internet?' .....). Some is in use on private networks, some is in use
at exchange points and not routed outside the immediate peers.

Most times, as I recall, epnet does a decent job of keeping the whois
data or rdns data updated though, for things in use. (though possibly
not for private uses)

-chris