Peering - Benefits?

Pierfrancesco Caci p.caci at seabone.net
Thu Oct 30 14:31:54 UTC 2008

:-> "HRH" == HRH Sven Olaf Prinz von CyberBunker-Kamphuis MP <sven at cyberbunker.com> writes:

    > internet exchanges are not per-se "redundant"

depends on your concept of redundancy.

    > they basically are a switch which actually, because of the many
    > connected
    > parties, most of which do not have enough PAID transit to cover any
    > outages on it, causes more problems than they are good for.

depends who you peer with, and your comment on the IX being "a switch"
depends on which IX you connect to.

    > (the amsix with their many outages and connected parties that rely
    > primarliy on it's functionality is a prime example here)

How many of the outages at AMS-IX really affected you directly? or
weren't they rather limited to a bunch of your peers? And you know
that you  can get multiple links to separate switches in different
location, don't you? Same goes for DE-CIX, LINX, the various Equinix,
PAIX etc...

    > internet exchanges usually are some sort of hobby computer club,
    > you

I think your choice of which internet exchanges to join has some
flaws.

    > cannot rely on them to actually -work-, but when they do work that's
    > "nice" (always make sure you have enough paid capacity to cover for it
    > when they do not work however!)

no, always make sure you have N+1 redundancy with a particular peer in
dispersed locations. or N+2 if you can afford the capex.

    > peering on only one of them therefore does not make your network more
    > reliable in any way (it becomes a different story when you connect to like
    > 10 or so worldwide).

    > as for "peering" agreements, just implement an open peering policy
    > (doesn't nessesarily have to take place over an ix, also applies to pieces
    > of ethernet running from your network to others).

    > those basically are contracts that force anyone who has also signed one to
    > peer with your network, wether they like you or not (saves the trouble
    > when you are a content provider and others do not want to peer with you
    > because they provide content too and you are a competing party etc).

you will find that most peering contracts or agreement have nice
clauses to terminate the peering at some agreed notice, as well as a
whole host of clauses that give the peering manager the power to say
no if he feels so.

    > --
    > HRH Sven Olaf Prinz von CyberBunker-Kamphuis, MP.

    > Minister of Telecommunications, Republic CyberBunker.

ok, you're a troll and I bit...

--

Pf