Peering - Benefits?

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Oct 30 13:20:39 UTC 2008

On 30 Oct 2008, at 13:03, HRH Sven Olaf Prinz von CyberBunker-Kamphuis
MP wrote:

> internet exchanges are not per-se "redundant"

Those networks who *choose* connect to peers via a single fabric, in a
single location, will suffer a similar fate to those networks who
single home to one transit provider.

> (the amsix with their many outages and connected parties that rely
> primarliy on it's functionality is a prime example here)

I run interconnection for three networks connected to the ams-ix and
can't understand why you think that the ams-ix fabric has "many
outages" - I have found it, to borrow a phrase from another stable
European IXP, rock solid.

> internet exchanges usually are some sort of hobby computer club, you
> cannot rely on them to actually -work-,

You shouldn't bet the farm on a single one of anything.  My alarm
clock failed once, this doesn't mean that all alarm clocks are
hobbyist timekeeping devices.

Most internet exchanges are professional organisations run by a team
of experts who care about the operational stability of the platform.
Most in Europe are association based organisations, who's leaders are
held accountable for the operational and commercial stability of the
exchange, to all of the participants, at legally mandated meetings.

Its a shame if your experience at the local IXP has been less
positive, perhaps look at the procedures and policies of a more sound
exchange and encourage your local IXP to be run along those lines.

Andy