Another driver for v6?

Matthew Ford ford at isoc.org
Thu Oct 30 10:39:06 UTC 2008

On 30/10/08 07:10, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, David W. Hankins wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:32:31PM -0400, Steven King wrote:
>>> Does anyone see any benefits to beginning a small deployment of IPv6 now
>>> even if its just for internal usage?
>>
>> It is almost lunacy to deploy IPv6 in a customer-facing sense (note
>> for example Google's choice to put its AAAA on a separate FQDN).  At
>
> Could you please elaborate on this point? My data presented
> <http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2008/msg01582.html> indicates
> that there are very very few (the longer I collected the data, the
> better the ratio got) who cannot properly fetch a resource that has A/AAAA.

Your stats (which are very interesting btw, thanks for doing the work)
suggest that the number of clients that would make use of the AAAA
record for a dual-stack service is about the same as the number of
clients that would fail in the event that both A and AAAA were present.
That's not exactly an incentive to content providers is it?

>> IPv6: It's kind of like storing dry food in preparation for the
>>      apocalypse.
>
> If you actually KNOW the apocalypse is coming (but not when), this is
> correct.

The end is nigh - http://penrose.uk6x.com/

Mat