question on BGP aggregation

Ricardo Oliveira rveloso at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 23 03:31:10 UTC 2008

the ASes in the AS_SET resulted from merging 2 or more AS_PATHS, you
only know at least one of them is connected to AS3 ...
more details at rfc4271:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4271.txt

"An AS_SET implies that the destinations listed in the NLRI can
          be reached through paths that traverse at least some of the
          constituent autonomous systems.  AS_SETs provide sufficient
          information to avoid routing information looping; however,
          their use may prune potentially feasible paths because such
          paths are no longer listed individually in the form of
          AS_SEQUENCEs.  In practice, this is not likely to be a problem
          because once an IP packet arrives at the edge of a group of
          autonomous systems, the BGP speaker is likely to have more
          detailed path information and can distinguish individual paths
          from destinations.
"

--Ricardo