spurring transition to ipv6 -- make it faster

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Thu Oct 16 17:03:18 UTC 2008

It's a good point that you brought up.

Even though we already have IPv6 P2P (Nathan's post explains this in
more detail), it would still be quite interesting to provide IPv6 as a
higher class of traffic within service provider networks.

Quite likely 6to4 relays and native IPv6 traffic is best effort today
(ie. the same as IPv4 inet). I think operators would need to consider
the financial implications of placing this traffic ahead of their
current revenue generating services. Possibly instead of prioritizing
the traffic, if the ISPs that normally police traffic from CE's could
provide a higher policed rate for IPv6 traffic, so the experience is
significantly different even in times where there is no congestion.

Truman