Network topology [Solved]

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Wed Oct 15 19:04:30 UTC 2008

On 2008/10/15 08:49 PM Larry Sheldon wrote:
> Colin Alston wrote:
>
>> Maybe there should be something (I mean like, someone should come up
>> with a standard :P) to trace switches in a path... Problem is I think
>> even then the simple devices won't bother to support it.
>
> I have been away from it for ma while and in truth don't know the
> answer--but--
>
> To the best of my knowledge, "Layer two Switches" in fact operate as
> multi-port bridges.
>
> If that is true, then they ought to be transmitting BDUs which should be
> detectable and used for mapping.

Ahh, you are correct sir (as well as the off list responses :))

Found this rather quickly

http://www.geocities.com/milicsasa/Tools/l2trace/index.html
as well as
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/l2trace.pdf

Not sure why I didn't Google "layer 2 traceroute" before... Oh well,
live and learn, and work shorter hours.

Thanks :)