Eircom connectivity issue

Philip L. phil at mindfury.net
Tue Oct 14 12:34:26 CDT 2008

I've ran into a puzzling scenario and I thought I'd ask around to see if
anyone else has an idea.

I have a customer who operates a server on our network who informed me
that a customer of his out of Ireland is having connectivity issues to
it.  The ISP in question is Eircom, and the block that seems unreachable

Any trace to an IP in that block drops off the Earth at the edge of the
Tier 1 provider that we connect with, such as AT&T and Sprint.  I've
also tried Level3, but the traffic goes over to AT&T in the end anyhow.
I've checked Level3 and Sprint's looking glass and performs a traceroute
from there, and I get the same result, so it doesn't appear to be an
issue with our network.

I'm at a loss and my customer told me that his customer has already
contacted Eircom and they are at a loss to explain the disconnect as
well.  Does anyone have some insight into this?

Philip L.