Google's PUE

David Birnbaum davidb at pins.net
Wed Oct 1 19:26:48 UTC 2008

I can't comment on the cost to a large data center, but I just finished
renovating our small data center here in New York City by putting in a
cogeneration system.  We installed a natural gas microturbine, and are
recapturing the waste heat to drive an absorption chiller.  The rough
rule of thumb is 30KW = 10T of chilling.  This type of cogeneration is a
great match for a communications room because the load is relatively
stable, and it supports a dual-mode operation, grid-connect and
grid-standalone, allowing you to run completely detached from local
utility in the event of an electrical disturbance.  No more recip
generator backup.

As we were the first to do this in New York City, a lot of the cost and
delay in the project came in explaining to the city what a microturbine
was, how it was going to work, demonstrating to the fire department that
it was safer than 500 gallons of diesel on the roof of a mid-rise, etc.
The math on the cost savings if you factor in the turbine equipment is
pretty quick, a couple of years, but if you look at the cost of the
entire project, 10 years is optimistic.  However, unlike a traditional
backup, you at least /have/ some sort of cost savings to offset the cap
investment.

I am going to attempt to determine our PUE, using the methodology
described in the Google paper.  One must figure that "in the spirit it
was intended" has to factor in the natural gas consumption, otherwise my
PUE would be about 0.1.  :)

Cheers,

David.