Google's PUE

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed Oct 1 19:06:19 UTC 2008

> On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
>
> >> Personally, I think only a self-owned DC could get that low.  A
> >> general purpose DC would have too many inefficiencies since someone
> >> like Equinix must have randomly sized cages, routers and servers,
> >> custom-built suites, etc.  By owning both sides, GOOG gets a boost.
> >> But it's still frickin' amazing, IMHO.
> >
> > I wonder what it cost? :-)
>
> What cost to the environment of not doing it?
>
> OK, green hat off. :)  Seriously, I doubt GOOG isn't seeing serious
> savings from this over time.  If they weren't why would they do it?

	They seem to be very environment focused, so I'm sure doing
anything that isn't is subject to scrutiny from the rest of the industry.

	Hopefully it won't come around to bite them. I had read an
article on "The Planet" going as green as possible, then they had the
huge outage and I'm sure negated 2-3 times what they had done to that
point.

			Tuc/TBOH