an over-the-top data center

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Fri Nov 28 17:10:14 UTC 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008 16:41:45 Craig Holland wrote:
> Just me, or is showing the floorplan not the typical behavior of a
> super-secure anything?

I'm not sure anyone but the press are claiming anything is super secure there.

I can't imagine being in a bunker makes physical security worse (although it
could make cooling, and working diesel backup generators more interesting).

Having had to visit data centres so secure they don't list their name on the
front of the building, which is great for security till you need an engineer
in a hurry and he is driving around looking for the building.

I'm thinking physical security is over done in some data centers. Sure it is a
great idea to make sure no one steals the hardware, but much beyond that and
allowing in expected personnel only, it soon gets to being counter
productive.

I was once back-up for a facility so "secure" I never got to visit it?! I'm
not saying I might not have been that useful if I was ever called on to
provide support - guess we'll never know. Although for that one I did at
least happen to know where it was despite it not being sign posted.