Origin ASN seen vs Origin ASN in Whois Records Report?

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Sun Nov 23 19:52:06 UTC 2008

On 19 Nov 2008, at 19:16, Heather Schiller wrote:

> ARIN makes available a list of prefixes with OriginAS.  I don't know
> if other RIR's do.

How is that list generated?

I'm not aware of any tight coupling between address assignment and AS
assignment that binds anybody to advertise particular routes with
particular origins, at least at the time that either is assigned/
allocated by an RIR/LIR.

Without such a coupling, would a report along the lines that you
suggest implicate the advertisement, or the "whois record" (whatever
that means)?

Joe