NAT66 and the subscriber prefix length

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Sat Nov 22 19:36:21 UTC 2008

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> My gripe was that I wanted to get an IPv6 allocation from
>> RIPE to start
>> testing how IPv6 would fit in the company that I work for and build a
>> dual stack network so that when the time comes, just switch
>> on IPv6 BGP
>> neighbors and update the DNS.
>>
>> But at almost 10.000 EUR per year it's an experiment I can't afford.
>
> That is not an experiment.

I was hoping to do it in one step with my own IPv6 PI space and do the
allocation and routing on the servers/routers/firewalls, see how that
goes and when the time was right, just announce my prefix to the world :)

> An experiment is where you go to <https://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/>,
> generate your own unique RFC 4193 prefix, and then implement your IPv6
> network using that. When you are ready to switch on BGP peering with the
> rest of the world, get a /32 from your RIR, and renumber the network
> leaving
> the interface IDs the same.

Thanks for the URL, I was not aware of it. I guess I'll have to
experiment with prefixes from that and see hot it goes.

> If you are concerned that renumbering will be hard, go back and generate
> another ULA, and renumber your network as part of your experiment.

I'll probably do that also.

Thanks.