IPv6 routing /48s

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Tue Nov 18 02:02:41 UTC 2008

   On 18/11/2008, at 11:46 AM, [1]Robert.E.VanOrmer at frb.gov wrote:

     We have been delegated a /48 by ARIN.  We then went out to procure a

     native IPv6 T1 from Verizon (*mainly for testing*).  We requested
     that

     Verizon route the /48 that we were provided by ARIN.  Verizon's
     response

     was "they do not route network smaller than a /32".

   I wish them good luck in reaching the DNS root servers.
   They are in "critical infrastructure" space, which is a single /32 with
   /48s assigned[1] from that - or something like that.
   IXP space was mentioned.. I'm not sure that needs to be globally
   reachable. Maybe to stop uRPF breaking ICMP messages if routers on the
   exchange respond from their interface address.. though.. I'd prefer to
   make my routers respond from loopback or something.
   --
   Nathan Ward
   [1] Maybe I mean allocated, whatever.