IPv6 routing /48s

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Nov 17 23:18:29 UTC 2008

> From: Robert.E.VanOrmer at frb.gov
> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:46:08 -0600
>
> Are there any parties out there routing /48 IPv6 networks globally?  I ran
> into a supposed Catch-22 with Verizon and IPv6 address space and was
> looking for clarification.
>
> We have been delegated a /48 by ARIN.  We then went out to procure a
> native IPv6 T1 from Verizon (*mainly for testing*).  We requested that
> Verizon route the /48 that we were provided by ARIN.  Verizon's response
> was "they do not route network smaller than a /32".  Fair enough...
> capacity planning for all the /48's would give a router a headache with
> today's hardware... so we requested address delegated from Verizon's
> larger block of addresses to be used for addressing.  The response was
> that we could not receive new address space until we returned our ARIN
> provided address space...  so in effect, go back and get a /32 from ARIN
> or give up on ever owning address space again.
>
> ARIN claims they are seeing /48s routed, at least in their route tables. I
> have seen some new momentum on the allocation of /32's, don't know if that
> is in response to rules like this??  Would be awefully difficult for our
> organization to come up with the rationale to need 65K /48s internally to
> justify a /32.

Lots of people have /48s from ARIN and many are routed. The global IPv6
table currently has about 200 of them. Among those using /48s are ARIN
and at least three of the root name servers, so that policy would block
access to rather important sites. :-)

I'd say that someone at VZB is pretty clueless.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)