godaddy spam / abuse suspensions?

James Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 22:50:27 UTC 2008

It's also not effective in various situations.
The bad behavior is not disabling abused domains, it's the method used to do it
(by giving no answer instead of actively giving a negative answer).

When a http client asks  recursive resolver A  for an A RR, and no
response is received,
the client will then  go to  recursive resolver B  and make the very
same query again,
and possibly on to recursive resolver C.

One of the secondary/tertiary recursive resolvers may hand the client
a cached response that had been obtained before the registrar took any
action.
If instead recursive resolver A  returned a NXDOMAIN,  that would be
the end of it,
no new queries,  the answer has returned  name does not exist.

The impact of the additional queries can be significant as well.

--
-J